HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My furnace shut off last night because the outdoor air inlet…

Customer Question
My furnace shut off...

My furnace shut off last night because the outdoor air inlet was blocked with ice. The house had dropped to about 55 degrees. I unblocked the air inlet, restarted the furnace and the problem appeared fixed. About 4 hours later I awoke and the furnace had flipped off again. The inlet was not blocked, I restarted the furnace and it worked, for about 30 minutes before it triggered again. I restarted it again and it has worked ever since. What are your thoughts as to what is happening?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Yes, I checked the thermostat setting and those were on target. The house is 70 degrees now and the furnace is currently working. I am aware of one filter that is on the cold air return duct. This is changed regularly and appears to be fine at this time.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/31/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 6 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Could be a problem with the draft pressure switch (see attached pic for typical). Remove the small diameter tubing to make sure there's no water in the tubing. Also check all condensate drains to be sure they are open (assuming this is a condensing furnace (PVC vent pipe) Beyond that it was probably just a one off glitch