HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My carrier furnace is blinking 33 and I don’t know how to…

Customer Question
Hi my carrier furnace...

Hi my carrier furnace is blinking 33 and I don’t know how to fix it

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

Changed them out earlier today, previously it was rough

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I know

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/31/2017
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 8 months ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

This is a thermal rollout issue. There are high limit safety thermostats that are around the burner housing area that can trip open if they fail or the unit is overheating. Some of these have reset buttons on them that you can manually press down to reset while others do not. The ones that do not either are one time limits or are limits that are suppose to manually reset when cooled down. Now that does not always happen when they go bad so you will have to check them for continuity with an ohm meter across the two leads going to them. If you do not pwn a ohm meter you can physically bypass each rollout to make sure it is good by connecting the two wires to each rollout sensor together to see if the unit will then operate. Now once you have found the bad one you can change it out or reset it and then you should check your furnace filter for blockages and make sure you main furnace blower is running to speed. These two things can cause a unit to overheat and trip one of these rollout sensors. Mosts units have 3 of these devices and here is a link to what they can look like on your unit.

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

Happy Holidays..All I ask is please use the....FINISH BY RATING link at the top your page to select a 5 STAR RATING before leaving today....this is important for my status on the site plus without a rating I will receive ZERO credit(NO PAY) from the site for assisting you. Also rating now does not close the question out and you can come back anytime for FREE right here to me......Happy Holidays!

Do I shut off power to the furnace when resetting these?

You can but do not have to.

Is there a way to reset the second rollout image you sent me. I have 2 of the first image and 1 of the second. I do not own an ohm meter and not quite sure what you mean by bypassing the rollouts

Just remove the two wires to any that do not have buttons and interlock the wires together and tape them so they stay connected until you can get a new one. If you can not interlock them use a paperclip to connect the two wires and tape them then try it.

Oh gotcha

No problem!

All I ask is please use the....FINISH BY RATING link at the top your page to select a 5 STAR RATING before leaving today....this is important for my status on the site plus without a rating I will receive ZERO credit(NO PAY) from the site for assisting you. Also rating now does not close the question out and you can come back anytime for FREE right here to me......Happy Holidays!

I bypassed the sensor and there is smoke in the house and the fire alarm went off
Is something in the vents that is catching fire?

Yeah something is burning up not good you should call a tech or the fire department if something is in the vent possibly burning. I have no idea what would be in the vent, but something is really wrong with the unit.

Damn okay thank you

Yeah call a tech out for sure you got a bigger issue for sure. Do not risk burning your house down.

Hi there,
I was just touching base with you because I have not heard back from you and the question is still open and unrated, I am not credited anything until a good star rating is supplied I would really appreciate it if you could do that thanks!