HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I'm trying to install a new thermostat. My old one has wires…

Customer Question
I'm trying to install...

I'm trying to install a new thermostat. My old one has wires that go to the B and to the O circuit, the new one only has an O/B. For what its worth, the fan and AC come on, the heat does not.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Yep

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/31/2017
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 5 months ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

No worries, thanks.

OK if your old one had a separate O and B you would need one with that or can only connect one or the other to the O/B terminal for heating or cooling. You need to put one on there likely Orange to the O/B tape the other one off for heating. If that is not it try the other one. It will be one or the other. Then in the summer you would have to swap them.

Happy Holidays..All I ask is please use the....FINISH BY RATING link at the top your page to select a 5 STAR RATING before leaving today....this is important for my status on the site plus without a rating I will receive ZERO credit(NO PAY) from the site for assisting you. Also rating now does not close the question out and you can come back anytime for FREE right here to me......Happy Holidays!

The new thermostat is a Honeywell rth6360 if that helps

If old one had a separate O and B you normally need a thermostat like that or you will need to just put one wire to the O/B for heat then swap it to the other in the summer for cooling. I would tyr one of those wires to it for heat and whichever works leave the other taped off until summer then swap it.

I have tried them both, neither works.
You still there?

OK if neither work do you have the thermostat set to the right system and crossover setting right for the unit?

There were no options, it is for a heat pump.

What is the make and model of the thermostat you are installing?

Honeywell rth6360

Do you have option 218 set to 1?

What is option 218?

That is the crossover valve setting you need it set to 1 not 0

How do I do that?

CLICK HERE setup starts at page 8 you have to have it all setup correctly or it will not work for the heat pump.

I cannot get to system set up options. How do I do that?

Go to page 14....CLICK HERE it is right on page 8

That didn't get it either.

Then I would say the thermostat is faulty you have to get into the installers setup for a Heat Pump to set that crossover correctly or it will not work and only cool. You may have just got a bad unit as there is no other reason it would not go into the mode are you sure you are doing exactly what it says on page 14? If so I would say it is just a bad thermostat.

After playing around with a couple of wires it now turns on. But it's blowing cool air out.

That crossover valve is just not set right for heat it defaults to 0 for cool that is the issue.

Hi there,
I was just touching base with you because I have not heard back from you and the question is still open and unrated, I am not credited anything until a good star rating is supplied I would really appreciate it if you could do that thanks!