HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

5 flashes on my gms90904cxa furnace and I hear a loud

Customer Question
5 flashes on my...

5 flashes on my gms90904cxa furnace and I hear a loud humming because the blower motor is NOT turning on

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

Took it out

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, if I can.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I watched a YouTube video which showed me to turn off the power to the unit and try and turn the actual fan by hand. The fan kind of fellwhen I attempted to turn it

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/30/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 6 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, tell me please if the burners ever fire, or not... even for a brief time.

.

Take close up, exceedingly well focused photo's of the wiring diagram glued inside the furnace/air handler door, and the printed circuit board mounted on the blower, , that shows where the thermostat wires connect, and I will mark them up with trouble shooting instructions.

Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo(s) to me.

We can go from there with training, coaching and diagnosis.... without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

There are 4 flashes on my gms90904cxa furnace. Blower motor not blowing. I turned off power and tried to turn the fam by hand and the fan fell. It's just rattling around FREELY now inside that compartment. I won't turn the power back on now.
There is no wiring diagram inside either of my furnace doors (upper or lower)
The induced motor starts, the burners fire up, then 30 seconds later, very loud humming and blower motor doesn't move
Hello? Are u there?

I am here, but I come and go to handle many things at once

It is most likely that the blower motor is bad, or its run capacitor is bad.

Tell me if you can spin the blower freely by hand, if its tight, the blower motor needs to be replaced.

.

If it spins easily then replace its run capacitor ($7 item) its the size of a cigarette package made of metal like a tin can, with two brown wires attached. IF you do not see that, then you have a different type of motor that we can discuss next

Did u receive my other replies? And what do you think is the problem? By looking on YouTube, it looks like it's the motor but I'd like confirmation or what else it could be.
I tried to spin it by hand and it wouldn't move, instead it kind of fell off inside the compartment

You found the problem, both the motor and the blower hub are broken, best replacement is the entire motor and blower assembly.

You can order it at the link below in most cases

http://www.shortyshvac.com

The will be open Monday or Tuesday.

.

The blower assembly slides out of the furnace after you disconnect its wiring on two rails, there is a stop screw at end of each rail,. remove those and the blower slides out.

If you are lucky and the motor is not over 5 years old, you might get by just replacing the squirrel cage blower wheel itself... you can attach photo's by using the 'add files' link next to your send button. I will assess that for you