HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I live in a Condo and my heat is inadequate. I have a

Customer Question
I live in a...

I live in a Condo and my heat is inadequate. I have a pyrometer and have measured the temperature at each of the baseboards and reading no more that 106 degrees. The house plumber advised that the boiler is at 189 degrees and nothing is wrong. He also advised that while there are 25 units rhe system has only one circulator, it is zone controlled. Am I right in assuming that the baseboatds shoukd be much hotter

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

The thermostat was replaced and symptom were the same.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No, The boiler is in a locked room and they will not let me or any plumber I was to Hire to gain access. I would like to have the zone valve checked.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I would like to know what the temperature of the baseboards should be when the thermostat is caling for heat.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/30/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 8 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, on virtually all such systems the base boards should run at the same temperature as the boiler.\.

.

It is unlikely that boiler is set to run at 189F that is most likely the manually resettable boiler high temperature safety limit switch... and the boiler control itself is like set to 120F in an effort to save money and you are therefore measuring 106F at your radiators.

.

You should know that if the building runs its boiler below 120F as some do, condensate from the natural gas combustion will rot the boilers heat exchanger out... more than a few operating engineers make that mistake.

I think that is the situation... If I am wrong then its likely that there is air trapped in your radiator that is vapor locking the hot water flow.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.