HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

We have a York model YP9C100C16MP12CB, with a heat pump.

Customer Question
We have a York...

We have a York model YP9C100C16MP12CB, with a heat pump. When the outside temperature is around 30 degrees or less, our unit is calling for the heat pump and blowing cool air. Is there a way to change the set points so that only the furnace comes on when it’s that cold?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Yes, the tstat is set correctly and the filters are clean. We’ve had the unit 2 1/2 Year’s and it’s always been a problem. We have indoor and outdoor faults constantly. Also we have changed out the thermocouple 3 times in 2.5 years.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Ok service provider can’t seem to fix it. They claim they have to call tech support at York and sometimes wait her at the house and can’t get thru to them for 2 or 3 hours. The latest thing they did was to turn off the fancy tstat it originally had and just hang a Honeywell tstat from the door of the mechanical closet, thereby disabling the heat pump and that’s when the latest thermocouple had to be replaced.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I think that’s all. I do have pictures on the near constant faults if that would help but I’m not sure how to upload them to you.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: HVAC
12/31/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 1 month ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

This is going to be a complex troubleshooting issue rather than a simple question and an answer.First let me say it sounds like you have more than one problem.If your hvac guy is a York dealer he should have a direct number to call his field manager while onsite.

Together we can figure this out and try to get to the bottom of the problems but as stated is not going to be a brief one or two correspondence answer.After the first hour of guidance I will present an additional service offer so you can accept and compensate me for my time .

I will start by answering the initial question.Afetr rating that answer we can continue to get to the bottom of this or you can get a York dealer who knows what he is doing.

YES.Your thermostat should have settings which can adjust that will lockout the heat pump below a given temperature as well as lock out the furnace from coming on at warmer temperatures

airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician