HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

To start off, I'm a master electrician but don't know much…

Customer Question
To start off, I'm a...
To start off, I'm a master electrician but don't know much about HVAC. I have a Trane XE1000 heat pump. The condenser fan motor started squeaking and whirring intermittently. Since the unit is 25 years old, I figured I'd replace the motor and capacitor. The old motor has black, purple and brown wires. Black went to defrost board, purple went to line side of capacitor and brown went to the other side. I bought a generic replacement motor from Grainger(Dayton). The new motor has the same leads + a brown/white wire. I called Grainger and asked him about the extra wire and he said to cap it off. After installing the new motor and cap, entire system runs but fan never comes on. HVAC contractor came out yesterday and told me that Grainger was wrong and that the brown/white needed to go to the capacitor as well. He reconnected the wire and it still didn't work. They left without knowing why the motor doesn't run. Any thoughts?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/30/2017
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 8 months ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician

Russ here.Does motor try to start.

Not at all. Unit goes through defrost process but no motor. Compressor cycles and everything.

Brown/white go to common inside motor. Make sure Black wire going to defrost relay is not on same phase as your wire going to capacitor. Russ

I tied the motor leads to the existing wires on the unit. I didn't change anything.

OK take the leads off defrost board and touch them together to see if fan starts. Russ

Ok, I'll try that. Thanks.

That will tell you if you have bad defrost board. Russ

Did you check motor by jumping board. Russ