HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Changing out acondenser txv head only. Was told to pump down…

Customer Question
Changing out acondenser txv...

Changing out acondenser txv head only. Was told to pump down unit yo cvondenser in heati g mode. Which port do I use to pump down in heath g mode?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Tubing pulled out of bulb so was going to replace txv but tech said u can replace head only

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes I am a te

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No just not sure in heating mode which port best yo pu To pump!p down from

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: HVAC
It is a Ruud unit
38; is it necessary to pull vacuum afterward?
Please explain procedure to see if it coincides with what I was told by tr h support
Sorry...tech support
12/30/2017
HVAC Technician: Gaztech, HVAC Technician replied 4 months ago
Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician

Just to clear things up, Are you changing TXV indoor coil, or outdoor unit

Outdoor condensing unit
It is a heat pump

Not sure that you can change just the head of TXV. or even if its available?

I already have it & was told I could
Have talked to a few other techs who said u can I have just never done it & not sure in heating mode which port I should pump down from
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 4 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, close the liquid line service valve at the condensing unit to pump the refrigerant down into the indoor coil.

.

If there is a hexagonal fitting under the power head on the TXV you can indeed replace just the power head, get the exact same one however... it only needs replacing however if its not opening.., generally a bad power head will have rust on it, they seldom fail otherwise.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

I was told by tech support to pump it down in heating mode to condenser . Was just not sure which port. TXV or head did not fail. Tubing to sensor bulb broke off. That's why he said just replace head. We have exact one.
Or if I need to pull vacuum
Please help. With 2 techs have not gotten answer to my question . To pump down a RUUD unit in heating mode which port & do I need to pull a vacuum
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 4 months ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician

Pump down ruud in heating mode. Attach low side gage to common suction on suction line. Attach high side gage to small liquid line side. Close small line just outside unit by using an allen wrench turning clockwise all the way down. Watch loused gage and when the needle get just abbot 5 psi start closing large line. Make a couple turns and shut down unit. Close valve quickly now. You may have just a little pressure. Rep;ace valve head and pull vacuum on system. Open valves and you got it. Russ

Typo watch lowside gage. Computer is doing what it wants to this morning. Russ

gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician