HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I'm pretty sure the gas valve went bad on my older model…

Customer Question
I'm pretty sure the...

I'm pretty sure the gas valve went bad on my older model weil McClain boiler. I was able to jumper the valve and get the burner to heat the house, but only if I did it manually. I ordered a new gas valve, installed it and the pilot light came right on, but the burner would never ignite. I accidently touched two lugs on the electronic on off switch on the gas valve and now I can't even get gas to the pilot. If I jumper the flame starter the gas will flow to the pilot but as soon as I let go, no gas. Did I damage the switch when I accidently touched the leads and is there any way to get power back to the switch. ?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

This is a very old boiler and has no filters, but the thermostat is all the way up on 85. There is power to the furnace, but no power to the gs switch.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I have replaced many parts on this boiler over the years and it has worked well, I just don't understand what has happened to a brand new $300 gas valve.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I just replaced the flame detector/thermocouple 2 years ago so I don't think it is bad.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: HVAC
I took the new valve off the boiler and put the old on back on so I can have heat. It's supposed to be sub zero temperatures here the next 5 days and I can't be without heat. I just don't understand why a brand new gas valve won't send gas to the pilot and why when it was sending gas to it, it would never ignite the burner. The thermocouple was glowing cherry red and still no ignition. Any chance that the valve is bad from the manufacturer?
12/30/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 3 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Do you still need help?

that's why I messaged you. The gas valve in question is a 36C84-923 white Rodgers valve ' When I connected everything, I had pilot ignition but no matter how long it burned,even when the sensor was cherry red, it wouldn't send gas to the burner. It's supposed to be -1 tonight with strong wind and this old house is hard enough to keep warm when the furnace is working. The gas switch on the new valve is inop and there's no way to send it back and get a new one at this stage of the game, being the holiday. Is there a way to jumper past the switch so that the gas is always in the on position. The old valve had a knob to turn that either turned the gas on or off, not this electrical switch. If I can get it to send gas to the pilot, I can then deduce if I have a problem with the thermocouple but no way to check it without an established pilot burning.
the issue right now is that I had to put the old valve back on to have heat. I would have to re-install the new valve before any talk through would be possible.Will you be available later this morning to talk if I can get everything back in place?

I'm not familiar with this product. I'm going to open this up to my colleagues so one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 3 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Take close up, exceedingly well focused photo's of the wiring diagram glued inside the boiler controls access cover, and and I will mark them up with trouble shooting instructions.

Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo(s) to me.

We can go from there with training, coaching and diagnosis.... without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed , after you rate this answer:

Select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer