HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Boiler wont heat water past 160 degrees

Customer Question
Boiler wont heat water past 160 degrees
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/29/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 6 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your

issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

Is the burner firing all the time? never shuts off?

burner doesn't shut off. Its a Converted Weil oil burner converted to gas. has an air intake adjustment wheel on the burner to adjust flame. I;ve tried more and less air. Also shut off all of my zones so there was no circulation to see if just the water in the boiler would heat up hotter. I popped the relief valve in case the chamber was air locked. Water is in the system as no steam is created and the pressure relief valve holds.

Generally if the burner doesn't shut off on high limit and it's real cold then the boiler can't keep up with the heat demand. Meaning it's undersized or in this case may be under fired.

That would more be the case if it was circulating all four of my zones. It should heat up when I shut the zones down as it only has to heat non circulating water

yes it should shut down on limit fairly quickly if no water is circulating so it's possible the gauge or the limit control is inaccurate.

That's what I thought but thought they're might be another issue. Its a dual gauge, the pressure is on the top and the water temp is on the bottom. If the guage isn't working the high limit should still cut off at some point if I don't have water circulating.
The pressure part of the guage is working properly as it rises if I add water through the feed.

Yes unless it's not working. Even if the burner is under fired (unless the flame is very weak) the boiler should shut off in a matter of minutes on limit. Temp and pressure are unrelated gauge functions. 1 can work while the other doesn't.

there is no resolution to this that you know of. Even a weak flame would eventually heat the water above the limit, it would just take longer.

Yes, as far as a resolution you haven't given me enough confirmed info to make a diagnosis. All I can do is speculate based on your description so far.

I told you all the trouble shooting steps Iv'e taken, What other information do you need?

A confirmed water temp. You're relying on a gauge that may not be accurate. There's no way the burner doesn't shut off on limit in a few minutes with no flow. When I say no flow I mean you have positive shut off (manual valve off) to every branch. The burner flame would have to be pretty weak for it to take more than a couple minutes

Was hoping you would offer some other trouble shoot options, but it seems like I've covered them all.Still not sure what the problem is.

I'm completely blind here except for what you tell me. So far what you tell me doesn't add up. So until you can prove water temp there are no other trouble shooting options.

I guess this isn't a suitable forum for this problem. Thanks anyway.

ok