HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I HAVE A THERMADOR PHE HOOD AND IT FEELS LIKE THE BACK DRAFT…

Customer Question
HI, I HAVE A...

HI, I HAVE A THERMADOR PHE HOOD AND IT FEELS LIKE THE BACK DRAFT DAMPER IS NOT WORKING, COLD AIR IS FLOWING INTO THE KITCHEN. THIS UNIT IS PROBABLY 20 YEARS OLD, IS IT FIXABLE AND IS IT WORTH IT? ALSO, WHAT CFM IS NEEDED FOR THIS RANGE IF I NEED TO GET ANOTHER

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?

DO YOU MEAN THE HOUSE THERMOSTAT? THE HEAT IS WORKING FINE. THE AIR IS COMING IN THROUGH THE HOOD

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

UNDECIDED

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/29/2017
HVAC Technician: Jarrett Baker, Building Inspector replied 8 months ago
Jarrett Baker
Jarrett Baker, Building Inspector

Hello, the exhaust on your range may or may not have a damper on it. With the age, it is possible that it does not have one, or that the damper, often very close to the fan, could be stuck open, from years of exhausting. You have some options as far as blocking the cold air. You can clean it, see if there is a damper, and is it stuck, clean it so that it operates correctly. You can also go into the attic space above the exhaust, make sure that the duct for the exhaust is connected to vent to the outside, not the attic, as moisture is not good for an attic space. You can then add a inline butterfly damper to the exhaust duct. Or just replace the exhaust hood, as it is past its recommended life span. The Ventilation standards of practice, are that bathrooms be at least 50 cfm, and that range hoods be at least 100 cfm. I hope that I have completely answered your question, and please rate me 5 stars. Thank you, ***** *****