HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I upgraded my thermostat to an Ecobee that I can control…

Customer Question
I upgraded my thermostat...

I upgraded my thermostat to an Ecobee that I can control through my smart phone since this home is at a lake and we are not there much through the winter. The electric furnace is running well but I am getting an alert from Ecobee stating that in the past 24 hours the auxiliary heat has been running for more than 60 minutes. Since we have a heat pump, do I need to go into the installation settings and change anything that may allow the heat pump to run more often? What other issues do you see with this alert message?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

I put in a new filter less than 30 days ago. When we were there over the weekend, we had the thermostat set at 70 degrees and got the alert message. The thermostat is now set at 58 degrees because we aren't there and I am still getting the alert message.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depends on how technical you think this goes. In visiting with Ecobee, they recommend reviewing the Compressor Minimum Outdoor temp, checking the compressor to auxiliary minimum runtime, and the compressor to auxiliary temp delta

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not really. The Goodman contractor that put this system in new 5 years ago is no longer in business.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/30/2017
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 3 months ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician

Russ here. When the Aux runs longer than normal backup heat there is a problem with condenser Possibly low on gas,bad defrost board,compressor capacitor. Several things could be wrong. That is why you have the backup heat. When ever you can schedule an appointment to check out the system. There is a problem if Aux heat runs to much. Now if weather is below 25 degrees it may just be normal for it to run to help the heat pump keep up. For peace of mind I would have it checked. Russ

Do you still need help. Russ

We did not have any issues or warnings until we put in the new thermostat so we either have wires incorrectly placed or maybe the set up is wrong. Since putting in the new thermostat, the outside temps have been from 20 down to minus 15. Seems like the fan doesn't run long enough after the electric heating coils stop heating after getting to the required room temp. So is the fan running actually the heat pump cooling down the coils? The furnace is heating the house just fine.

You can put extended run time for fan in one of the options. In heating you do not want it to run to long or it will start cooling down room. It has a built in time delay on fan board to run between 30 and 60 seconds depended on how it is set. If it heating the house and temp does not vary you are OK. The ECobee is a learning thermostat and may take as long as week to learn the house. Russ

Actually, the only warning we are getting is "In the past 24 hours, the auxiliary heat has been running more than 60 minutes." Our other thermostat didn't have the ability to "talk" to us. Room heat is holding just fine whether that is 70 when we are there or 58 when we are gone for several days.

Ecobee takes getting use to. Had the same problem when I put in a learning thermostat. Let it run awhile and see if does what it is suppose to do. It has to learn and takes into effect when you are home and away and adjust from there. Russ

Ok. It gave me the same warning whether I was there over Christmas when we installed it and had it set at 70 or now that we have left the lake home for a couple of months and have it set at 58. Ecobee has suggested reviewing a few settings but I have to be there to do it. Can't get to these settings through the smart phone app.

You can not access thru your phone to check settings. Russ

gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician