HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Ducane 80G1UH that barely ignites before turning…

Customer Question
I have a Ducane...

I have a Ducane 80G1UH that barely ignites before turning off and then giving me a diagnostic #3 which says that "pressure switch is open with inducer on". I've tried cleaning the flame sensor but no help

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

A few weeks

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/29/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 6 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, tell me please if you see the igniter glowing at any time or any flame at all for even a few seconds.... if not, then the pressure switch will need our attention.

If you do see any glow from the igniter or any flame at all for even a second, then the pressure switch is not the problem, we can go from there without any time limits.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

.

the igniter does turn on for usually a second or two, then quickly turns back off.

Thanks, ***** ***** is actually just one or two seconds, then the problem is with the printed circuit board, it is not keeping the igniter on long enough to fire and the gas valve is not opening to provide fuel to enable firing.

click here to buy a new board,

.

My rationale, if the pressure switch was staying open and not closing or any incorrect behavior from the pressure switch, the igniter would never have gotten any power for those 1 or 2 seconds....

.

.

Sorry maybe I didn't understand, the igniter glows hot for about 5 seconds and the gas does ignite, however it only burns for a couple seconds.

Thanks, ***** ***** igniter glows and the gas valve opens allowing ignition for a couple of seconds, the pressure switch is fine, and it is a dirty flame sensor rod that becomes the primary suspect, clean that with steel wool to bare shinny metal, if you need **plumbers emery cloth to get to bare metal, use it.

.

If cleaning the flame sensor fails, the printed circuit board is next primary suspect, first replug all the connections to the board, that burnishes the oxide from the connectors, if that fails do a heat stress test on the board.

Use a hair drier to warm the board to 130F or so, if anything then changes for the better or worse, you have proven that there are microscopic cracks in the board and that the board needs to be replaced.

We can go from there without a time limit