HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a furnace stopped working and the indicator lite said…

Customer Question
I have a Coleman...

I have a Coleman furnace stopped working and the indicator lite said shutting down after multiple retries. I ordered a new flame sensor

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

I checked the filters. the flame sensor that I ordered was to long I tried to cut it to right size. I changed the hot surface ignitor. I checked the intake and exhaust for obstructions. I checked for obstructed drain lines. I tested the limit switch the ohms were 00 across the post. I couldn't get a resistance reading on the flame sensor that I shortened. The burners are failing to light.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I have done all that myself

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have a new flame sensor the right size ordered. could cutting the flame sensor prevent it from working properly?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/29/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 8 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, the flame sensor should work as long as a 1/2" or longer section of it is the flames.

Lets do a heat stress test on the printed circuit board, use a hair drier to warm it up to 130F or so, if anything changes at all, gets better or worse, the board has micro cracks that opened or closed when the board was warmed.

We can go from there without any time limits.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

.

I heated the circuit board with no change. Just bought a new pressure switch. Hope that works

Hello, there is a sticker on your old pressure switch with a pressure range on it something like 0.8 to 1.2 inches of water column... the new switch should operate in the same range or its not safe.