HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Goodman gmh80803BN and it is blinking 3 times. I…

Customer Question
I have a Goodman...

I have a Goodman gmh80803BN and it is blinking 3 times. I have replace the ignitor (because it wasn't working) and the flame sensor. it ignites, and then shut off again.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I guess it started last year but wasnt' consistent. This year my heater wouldn't come. So I just replaced the ignitor yesterday and that worked but would't stay. so I changed the flame sensor today and the same thing.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I would like to

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I replace the thermostat last year. that's it

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

Something with the furnace

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/28/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 7 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

A 3 flash error is an open draft pressure switch. The question is do you have a bad switch or a weak fan ( is the draft fan running?) or a blocked exhaust vent. You can check the vent for blockages and also the vac tubing connected to the switch. Be sure the tubing is not kinked, deteriorated or doesn't have water in it. You can also poke a paper clip into the port where the tubing connects but not into the switch connection. If all that checks out. Turn the power off to the unit wait a couple minutes then turn it back on. After the fan starts remove one of the leads from the pressure switch and connect it to the other lead. If the sequence continues then you may have a faulty pressure switch or possibly a weak fan. The next thing we would do is put a manometer on the exhaust to check the actual draft pressure but you aren't likely to have a manometer and they are expensive. Replacing the switch is one other option since it's less money than a manometer (or a new draft fan) and it is a likely culprit.