HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My RUUD furnace blower is not turning on. The circuit board…

My RUUD furnace blower is...
My RUUD furnace blower is not turning on. The circuit board says its a "Limit Switch Open" error. How can I fix this?
12/28/2017
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

The limit error is likely due to the fan not running. I need the model number of your unit. It's on the BTU rating tag inside the burner compartment. Do you have a multi-meter?

I have a multi-meter. I'll get the model #.
UGDJ-15EARJR.I did check for voltage across the black and white leads to blower and got 0vac
The blower will run if I bypass the circuit board.

Did you check after the burners had fired up?

No change. I hear a click that I would guess is the relay, but it never turns on.

You should have power to main blower 20 seconds after the burner fires up

that's when I hear the click, but no blower.

Then you need a new board if you have no power to the blower 20 seconds after the burners fire up

Ok. What about the flash code for the Limit Switch Open. Is that a symptom of a bad board, or should I check the limit switch?

Like I said earlier, if the blower doesn't run the heat exchanger over heats and will trip the limit

Ah, that makes sense. The limit switch is overtemping because of no airflow from the blower, right?

Yes

Alright, time to track down a board. Thanks.

You're welcome.

I'd appreciate a favorable rating

Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Can do.

Thanks

Rick
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor