HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have an 18 month old Carrier furnace and infinity touch…

Customer Question
I have an 18...

I have an 18 month old Carrier furnace and infinity touch control thermostat, in the last 2 weeks a pop up screen shows "SYSTEM FAULT 13-LIMIT LOCKOUT and the furnace will not heat. The service tech checked and reported no problem with the furnace. I asked for the thermostat to be replaced, ?Is there a battery to replace? as this would be a simpler option?PS no power outages or problems at the pannel.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

The settings are ok, and all the filters have been changed

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I have a waranty plan, but we live in Toronto and it is -14C so if a simpler option as it seems to be ok if I reboot the thermostat

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just curious if it is as simple as changing a battery in the thermostat

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/28/2017
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 4 months ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

My name is Billy. This means the unit overheated. It can be caused from too restrictive of a filter, blower issues, too small ductwork etc...pretty much anything that restricts air flow.

Code 13 is pretty common but is also a sign that more air flow is needed. This will not be related to the thermostat as the thermostat only reports what the furnace sends to it.

Billy

thank you, ***** ***** checked, but after putting all my snow gear and in light of day saw that one of the ducts to outside was piled with snow.

That can certainly contribute....also make sure the filters you use are not too "good". Some of the high density filters actually mimic a plugged filter because they are so fine to catch smaller particles.

BillyHvac
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech