HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I am getting a ignitionnproving failure this is only a three…

Customer Question
I am getting a...

I am getting a ignitionnproving failure this is only a three year old furnace

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

The filter in the ceiling was bad I took it out. When I open the furnace only one of the three burners ignites

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

It is 11:30 at night if it something simple yes

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: HVAC
12/28/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 1 month ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, it is most likely that the flame sensing rod is dirty and needs to be cleaned off with steel wool.

.

I need the brand and model number of the furnace to go further. The model number is ***** a sticker inside the same compartment in the furnace that the gas valve is in, just follow the gas line into the furnace to locate that large panel, it lifts up one inch then pulls out at the top in most cases.

.

Take close up, exceedingly well focused photo's of the wiring diagram glued inside the furnace/air handler door, and the printed circuit board mounted on the blower, , that shows where the thermostat wires connect, and I will mark them up with trouble shooting instructions.

Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo(s) to me.

We can go from there with training, coaching and diagnosis.... without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed .

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I already lightly sanded the oxidation off of the flame sensing rod. For some reason the left two burners are not igniting

Thanks, if *any of the burners are igniting then the problem is strictly related to the gas pressure in the manifold OR more likely dirty slot where the burner flame travels from one burner to the other.

Clean that slot with a knife or wire brush, let me know how that goes.

.

I need a photo that shows all of the burners and including the ignition module

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did you receive the picture?

That burner configuration should not be having the problem you are reporting... if cleaning them with a vacuum cleaner and a bottle brush in place (no need to remove them) does not solve the problem, then the furnace needs to be seen in person by a gas furnace tech

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I take a match and place on the second burner right when the first one kicks on the second and third one will light as normal, so gas flow is normal

You can unbolt that black header pipe, then the burners should slide out, and you can try cleaning them that way.... to move the header pipe out you may have to disconnect the gas line, be sure to shut the gas valve off at the furnace.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer