HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Older dial themostat spears to have stopped working. I

Customer Question
Older dial themostat spears...

Older dial themostat spears to have stopped working. I turned off, adjusted and turned back on but it's not auto coming back on at higher temp. What should I try?

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

Think the thermostat. I had furnace checked/raired last year. Thermostat was working until just now

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

O was hoping for you to tell me some things to try before calling someone

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just that its the older round thermo with switch for air/heat and numbers on top and bottom

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/27/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 4 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You can try connecting the heat wires/leads on the thermostat together. On a more modern thermostat these would be the leads connected to the R (RH) & W terminals. On an old T87 (sounds like what you're describing) I don't recall if there are R & W terminals. The wire colors are usually (not always) red & white.

I asked for a call but is it going through?

I don't see a call request, I'll post another offer. Accept it, give me your phone number and I'll call

Can you email me thru this U am getting frustrated and don't know about wires or th apart
It's not working..just email me

You have to remove the thermostat body from the back plate. First turn the thermostat switch on the back plate to OFF. Pull off the outer ring on the front of the thermostat. You'll see there are 3 slotted screws at approximately 2, 6 & 9 o'clock. Back those screws off and the thermostat body will release from the back plate.

The wires are connected to the back plate. Tell me what you see

I see 2 tiny screws need to find awful tiny screwdriver. Is that what you mean

There are 3 slotted (not the phillips screws) screw. Yes they are small

Just don't have small envy screwdriver for leverage needed. I'm putting faceplate ba c on. Let's r something wrong renovin g

I don't understand you last sentence

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer