HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have an Infinity system that I have had for 11 years 3 ton…

Customer Question
I have an Infinity...

I have an Infinity system that I have had for 11 years 3 ton 16 seer model 25HNA636A300 serial 2106E31593 I have been told the compressor has gone bad. My question is on repair. Carrier sent out a dealer bulletin in 2014 for repair and or a replacement. The replacement model is still in use today. Is there any reason I can't just replace the pump with the replacement recommended in that bulletin. Why am i being pushed to replace everything? Also on repair is their a specific carrier model number for the compressor.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Last month reiceived a system failure on 12/13

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I am trying to make the best decision on replacement /repair. I feel my quotes are extremely high

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/27/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 7 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, 11 years ago they used a different refrigerant than is use today, they used R-22... since then the industry has moved to R-410a, and R-22 has been declared illegal to use in the US.

That is why they recommend an entire system replacement, the two refrigerants are not compatible nor are the controls.

.

Having said that, if there is still one of the replacement units mentioned in the dealer bulletin from 2014, it would certainly work as a replacement....The refrigerant however would most like have to be switched from R22 to one of the R22 replacements such as R22a, which is not quite as efficient as R22.

.

We can go from here, without any time limits and in as much depth as you like.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

My Infinity system use Puron 410a

Thanks! it was one of the very first, in that case the replacement condensing unit in the bulletin would work.

.