HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a carrier puron and when the temperature drops 40 and…

Customer Question
I have a carrier...

I have a carrier puron and when the temperature drops 40 and below the temperature the get above 72

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I move in march 2017

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't know if it will help but the outside unit freeze up at time. i have a infinity thermostat

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

Honest i don't know the system seems to work find the temperature will climb untp the outside temp get below 40

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/27/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 8 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

is the outdoor unit still running at the lower temp and do you have gas or electric backup heat?

it still running at low temp. Far as the backup goes are you taking about a separate back up unit. The carrier is a heat pump electric

Yes indoor unit can be either gas or electric.

You should have backup heat installed in the air handler. The installer may have it disconnected or not programmed to bring the backup heat on in order to keep your power bill down.

If outdoor unit continues to run (both compressor and outdoor fan) while it has ice on it you have abad defrost board in outdoor unit.

The unit should go into defrost turning the outdoor fan off and creating a high head pressure to melt the ice and during that time your backup heat should take over until it thaws.

The out door unit does freeze and does thraw out an there is an auxiliary heat but the temp goes from 71 to 72 even if it set to 75

OK when we drop in the lower temps 30-40 the heat pump starts to lose capacity and the aux or backup should be coming on to assist.

As mentioned often the installer will either disconnect,not wire or put in a smaller backup heat kit so keep power bill down.

Are you able to open air handler and do a bit of research? And next question, has it always been like this since installed or just recently started not heating sufficiently?

I move in this home in March, I can open the air handler but how much research you are requiring .

I want you to look at the heat kit and tell me model on heat kit, or tell me how many elements you have installed,make sure the control wires on heat kit and wires to elements are all connected and then give me an idea of how many square feet are in the home and what part of the country you are in.

What I am attempting to do is figure out if we have enough backup /aux heat