HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Everything works fine in the model # CACF030A2A, except an…

Customer Question
Everything works fine in...

Everything works fine in the model # CACF030A2A, except an intermittent problem. First to fore up the furnace, there is a short consistent hum. Then the furnace will usually kick in.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

In the intermittent situation, the hum will last longer, then quit, and this on and off hum may take a number of times, before the furnace will start.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I just turn off the furnance, for several hours, seems like it will hum and kick in normally, until a couple hours go by, and ten te intermittent process begins again.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

New filter, if I can do it myself fine, with advice, but otherwise I need a technician to come out. Almost seems like a capacitor problem

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: HVAC
12/27/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 1 month ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

WE need to determine where the hum is coming from.Listen carefully and see if it is from the small vent inducer and if so try spinning it manually to see if it starts right up.WE will go from here.

By the way I will need actual furnace model to guide in specifics when we get there.The number you provided is the ac coil. Furnace model will be on a label in burner compartment.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what does the vent inducer look like?

Small motor where vent connects.Get me model on furnace and I will send a pic

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
im looking for the furnace model number. Soon as I find it, will send it to you. Thanks!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Goodman furnace model # GMNTOLO-3B
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks for the pic when I get it.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
here is a pic of what my furnace looks like. The inducer motor doesn't match the pic you sent me, but I presume is on the lower part of the furnace. The hum comes from the upper part of the unit, though I'm not sure if its the part up front, closer to you, or the bigger part further behind. In my way of thinking it's gotta be some part that could act as a capacitor to get loaded and keep the voltage hum until the unit fires up. That capacitor might be worn, or a part that functions in a similar function.

This one is the inducer. Does this one start up right away?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the inducer starts up right away. The hum, which can be intermittent, comes from the upper half of the furnace compartment. It's the electrical hum that kicks of the inducer.

Can you point out on pic where hum comes from? The inducer should be signalled from the control board in blower section

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer