HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have two issues with my ventless propane fireplace but the…

Customer Question
I have two issues with...
I have two issues with my ventless propane fireplace but the main issue is the pilot light does light as normal. The Striker does spark and light but Instead of a normal aggressive pilot jet flame it's just now similar to a candle flame and when I hold it on for the normal 30 seconds so the pilot light stays lit it just goes out before I can turn up the flames. I hope I've described it properly.
Please advise. Thanks
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/27/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 7 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, it is about 90% certain that the human hair sized orifice in the pilot light is blocked with dirt, the orifice is often too small to be cleanable so that the entire pilot light is replaced... in rare case the pilot has a removeable orifice that you can replace... you must remove the pilot light assembly to do any of that work or inspection.

.

There is a 10% chance that the gas valve has a 1/2" diameter cap on it, that says 'pilot' if you see that, remove the cap and try adjusting the pilot screw under the cap.

.

When you get the pilot light out of the burner area, take a close up picture of it for me, laying on its side I will coach you on how to get a new orifice for it, or replace it

.

We can go from here without any time limits

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

I clean the pilot tube seasonally with carburetor cleaner and a Q-tip to help break down some of the residue and for the past few seasons has worked fine until today and I tried to attach a video so I'll text this picture instead.
Meanwhile I'll be inspected and get back in touch with you.

That cleaning gets the lint and dirt our of the pilot lights AIR intake port, but cannot come remotely close to getting dirt out of the human hair sized gas orifice.

You will most likely end up having to replace the pilot light assembly if adjusting the pilot control valve fails.