HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Goodman furnace code F3, thermostat was broken have replaced…

Customer Question
Goodman furnace code F3...

Goodman furnace code F3, thermostat was broken have replaced but furnace won't fire

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

The old thermostat was being held together with some tape to keep the battery panel closed. I took it off and was in the process of replacing when I realized I didn't have the right tools I didn't get a chance to get back to the house before a cold snap came appears as though pipes are frozen and furnace won't start now

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Hopefully

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/27/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 6 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Model on furnace?

Do I need to open it to find out?

Yes model will be in the burner compartment on an inside panel

Is the code on furnace or thermostat?

Furnace - model gmvc950905dxaa
Pretty sure. Possible E3,
If I turn the furnace on, it says op, clicks 3 times and then starts flashing he code

E3 is a limit switch open. Just for a test try bypassing limits one at a time to see if furnace will work.

How do I do that

Follow the wires from one limit to the next.The one most often the culprit and most often overlooked is one in blower compartment .tripps due to dirty filter or low air flow

I believe I see where you have suggested, what do I specifically do.

That particular one has a button between the wires.Press in on button and see if it clicks and resets

https://i.imgur.com/CGkB9sa.jpg

Pressed and put cover on, no change
Op, 3 clickens then 3 then F flashing
Clicks and

LOL I first read chickens.....I was like WTH

Check the fuse on furnace control board and make sure it is good

Do you know if this furnace is a multi state conventional system...the thermostat says it will not work on this type of system. I just want to make sure that is not the problem. Should I try putting old system back on and see if that changes anything.

Yes the furnace is a two stage furnace.

And unless you have a heat pump outside it is conventional.What thermostat do you have?

Go to thermostat or furnace board and connect the three wires R, W1 and W2 together and see if furnace will work

Thermostat is Honeywell rth2300b

What do w1 and w2 mean only 1 white wire

You only have one W on furnace board?

On the thermostat

OK do this at board.I know you don't have a W2 on the 2300

When I did that it said op and stayed.
I did not hear it fire, but thermostat is not connected as you said it was a multistage furnace so I took it off.

Sounds like you may just need a 2 stage thermostat or you can try leaving the jumper from W1 to W2 and connect W from thermostat to one or the other.

I will try rehooking up other thermostat and see if it runs. Will buy new one if it does as I just need a replacement as battery cover is broken

Let me know.If you have further questions, please let me know.
Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.
To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.

Furnace has old thermostat attached says OP but I do not see or hear anything else.

Like the F3, I see no OP on chart,Is there a chart legend on the furnace?

OP means normal operation

With the board jumped R and Ws still no operation of inducer igniter or burners?

I replaced the jumped cables, should I jump them [email protected]

Do one more time and leave to see if it will ignite

Nothing happening in top cabinet. Don't hear anything except running water sound...not too sure if that is part of furnace...or different sysytem. Only fan I hear is from dehumidifier.

I am thinking you have a bad board if we get no inducer, igniter flame and yet no other error code. Do you see a legend for the F3?

No, not on the code list

I think you are going to have to get an onsite tech.I hate to say replace the board but it sure sounds like a board issue.If it were a limit or a pressure switch we should be getting an E code

Ok

Wish we could have solved online but we have gone through normal checks