HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Have a 36G22-209 Gas Valve we just installed on a Trane

Customer Question
furnace. Model # TDX080C942D3. Everything...
Have a 36G22-209 Gas Valve we just installed on a Trane furnace. Model # TDX080C942D3. Everything is acting intermittently. From the installation instructions I believe we should be getting 24V to each of the 2 wires of the gas valve. Both 24V in. Am I reading this wrong?? We’re sometimes getting 24V to one wire. Sometimes not. Ever seen anything like this before we swap out the board?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/26/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 7 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

If the 24v is erratic, most likely a failing board.Everytime inducer comes on and igniter lights the board should send 24v to valve.

I agree. But it should send 24v to each wire correct? The way I’m looking at this diagram each leg is normally open until the board sends each wire 24v.

No the 24v should be between the two wires.not each wire to ground

One of those wires is 24v common.On call for heat the board sends 24v hot to the valve solenoid to complete the 24v circuit and energize valve

But why does the wiring diagram make it seem different? Lol
technically it shouldn’t matter where those 2 wires go correct? There is no C on our gas valve.

In reality that IS correct. one is common and the other is hot. The board is basically a light switch just breaking the red leg of the circuit.On call for heat after igniter lights board closes the 24v circuit and we get gas valve open