HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I am troubleshooting a 25 amp, A.C. 3000 watt base board…

Customer Question
I am troubleshooting a...

I am troubleshooting a 25 amp, A.C. 3000 watt base board heater. with a type 24A05A-1 White Rodgers controller. The original controller stopped opening and closing. I purchased a new 24A05A-1 from my local supplier and installed it. Before applying a load I tested the output voltage from the transformer , with a Klein 117 multi-meter, The voltage read 31.9 volts, the transformer started to vibrate and then voltage output dropped to 0.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

About seven days.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

This work is being done by my neighbor, he is a licenced electrician.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It is cold here and I would like to get my heat back.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

There are no filters as it is a baseboard heater. The installation instructions say I should have no more than .2 amps of thermostat power, before the transformer quite I had 31.9 amps!

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: HVAC
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/26/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 3 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, those 24A05A-1 White Rodgers controllers are line voltage (230 or 120V) there is no transformer involved with that circuit at all in virtually all cases, tell me exactly where you found the 24vac transformer, we can go from there.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Good Morning Phil
I am in error when I mentioned that we received 31.9 amps from the transformer. It was volts, not amps. My misunderstanding. Also, we seem to be discussing two different pieces of equipment.In a sticker on the front side of this unit, a 24A05-1, it produces a current of .21 amp @ 18 V.A.C voltage for the low voltage thermostat. Am I reading this wrong?I look forward to your reply.Sincerely,Jim Dillon

Boy did I screw this up, I assumed you had a line voltage thermostat there, as most baseboard heaters have... but instead you have a 24volt time delay **relay... controlled by a 24 volt thermostat somewhere, that sends 24vac to the time delay circuit on your white rodgers *relay. Click here

The term **controller most often refers to a thermostat that controls the temperature.

Amperage is the actual number of electrons passing a certain point per second, a few hundred thousand per secon as I recall... volts is the pressure that the utility company puts on the power lines into your house... that pressure is what forces the electrons (amperage) back and forth in the wire 60 times a second.

No item such as the base board heater in your house *produces and current... (current is Volts x Amps... or Watts)... the draw (or use) current The 24vac transformer that converts 120vac to 24vac however converts the 120v to 24v and that 24 v is used to operate the time delay relay.

If you say that transformer burned it, first check for a dead short in the wiring and then replace the transformer with the same voltage and VA (volt amp rating) generally 120 volts on the primary side and 24volts on the secondary side, and rated for 40VA... not less.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer