HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My Rheem Classic 90 plus furnace keeps turning off (after…

Customer Question
Hi, my Rheem Classic...

Hi, my Rheem Classic 90 plus furnace keeps turning off (after ~15 minutes)

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

Yes replaced last week

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Nope It has an ecobee thermometer

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/26/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 6 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your

issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation. I need the actual model number of your unit? It's on the BTU rating tag inside the burner compartment. Do you get an LED flash code on the control board when it shuts down?

The model number is: RGRA-07EMAES
I'm not sure about the flash code with the LED

How old is the unit? If you don't know then give me the serial number.

was put in 2007
serial is: EH5D702F310004947

Ok, this model has a green LED on the control board inside the blower compartment. I need to know what that green LED is doing when it shuts down (prematurely?). If it's flashing I need the flash sequence. How many times does it flash before it pauses and repeats

Hi, I'm holding the button right now (it is not turning on yet, just humming). I have been holding for several minutes. The "OK" green LED is flashing twice at the moment every 2 seconds.
Will have to wait for the furnace to turn on and shut down to let you know what the LED is doing when it shuts down.

Ok, a 2 flash is an open pressure switch error. Given that it takes 15 minutes to d=shut down you need to check all the hoses for water and all the condensate drains to be sure they are open and flowing.

It was 2 flash waiting to turn on; it just turned on. I will let you know what happens when it shuts down early.

ok

Thanks, ***** ***** still going it is taking longer than usual to fail

ok

It got all the way up to the temperature without failing today.

Given your description the most likely cause for a failure like you describe is water in the draft pressure switch or the condensate tubing. The fix I described earlier is the most likely solution. I'd suggest you do it anyway.