HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a rodgers thermostat that has been in my house for 20…

Customer Question
I have a White...

I have a White rodgers thermostat that has been in my house for 20 years. It has heating and cooling capabilities. Three days ago the thermostat setting at 68 degrees did not shut off when the house temperature reached 68 and continued past that setting waking me at 4;00Am and the house temperature was 84 degrees!!!! Yikes! Do I need a new thermostat?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Filters are clean thermostat is manually set at 68 degrees. Are there other settings inside the thermostat. I just set the furnace setting thru the up/down button next to the display

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes if all there is is replacing the thermostat.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I replaced the batterys are there any other settings. Its scary when you set a temperature and find out the furnace keeps running when the thermostat should have shut it off. Ironically in the day time The furnace reached the desired temperature and shut off but thru the night especially while sleeping the fiurnace runs rampant and thats dangerous.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/26/2017
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 3 months ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician

Russ here. Does furnace turn off when you turn the thermostat to off position. Russ

after it runs the cycle.
I said yes after I turn off the thermostat the furnace runs until the cycle completes!

Sounds like bad thermostat. Do you want to replace yourself. Russ

I can recommend a thermostat and help if you have a problem. Russ

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer