HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a model nug5100bfb2. stack blower comes on but

Customer Question
I have a hell...

I have a hell model nug5100bfb2. stack blower comes on but burners do not light

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Bought it used and trying it before installing in my garage

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Need to know what tests to do like voltage checks

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/25/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 2 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello.

Take close up, exceedingly well focused photo's of the wiring diagram glued inside the controls access cover, and the printed circuit board mounted on the blower , that shows where the thermostat wires connect, and I will mark them up with trouble shooting instructions.

Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo(s) to me.

We can go from there with training, coaching and diagnosis.... without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

what do you mean that you will mark them up with trouble shooing instructions. Do you only need to connect R & W to run unit?

R and W are ONLY the thermostat connections, those connect to an elaborate controls system often with a printed circuit board and many relays and sensors, that would be the diagram I need, I will examine it, then prescribe some tests of the *internal wiring.

.

Until then I have no idea what controls system is involved

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How the heck do you communicate on this site. Getting very pissed off
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 1 month ago

I am notified when you post, and you are notified by email when I post.... then we get together when there is time.

OR you can accept a $25 phone call offer and I can call you live on the phone

I handle several questions at time, each takes some research, document transmission and typing, so there can be a few minutes delay, so far after 8 years year and over 8,600 questions my rating is 98.4% satisfied... so it works most of the time

Thanks, click here please, first check for 24vac between the two terminals on the transformer marked in blue.

If you have 24v there, fit *temporary test jumpers as shown in red, if one of those gets the unit to operate then thats the bad one.

If you have all of the jumpers in place and the small inducer fan (exhaust fan) does not operate then the control module is most likely bad.

DO NOT LEAVE ANY OF THE JUMPERS IN PLACE LONGER THAN IT TAKES TO DO THE TESTS.

Depending on what you find we will go from there with more tests.

.

We can go from there

Be sure to do all those tests with the thermostat set to heat and up to 90F

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there a gas pressure switch on this unit. I am setting this up temporary to be sure it will work and using a 3/8 copper line would this be an issue. Have not had a chance to test because it is very cold here and no heat in the garage.

The 3/8" copper gas line only works on furnaces below 40,000 btu hour, Your heil furnace is almost certainly at least twice the large, if you send me the brand and model number of the gas valve I can look it up.... less than 1 in a thousand however has a gas pressure switch.

IF there is a pressure switch on the gas valve there will be a black rubber tube attached to the gas valve... it will sense pressure inside the combustion chamber and not let the gas valve open unless there is a slight vacuum in the combustion chamber, not related to your 3/8" tube problem.

Do yourself a favor and do not attempt to do any testing with gas line in place, run 1/2 pipe or 1/2 gas flex line each of which have 4 times the gas carrying capacity of your 3/8" copper tube. that is because the 1/2" is nominal the actual size is closer to 5/8 with pipe

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer