HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Had 31 one code with intermitiant heat coming on and off…

Customer Question
Had 31 one code...

Had 31 one code with intermitiant heat coming on and off with blower on all the time. I read if I pulled the hose and blew through it it may help on clog. Now I get 23 code and no fan or anything is happening when turned on. Did I make a bad situation worse?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Says it is 64 with read out with heat indicator on our ecocide. New filter.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Prior to messing with the tube I at least had the fan kicking on and heat sporadic

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/25/2017
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 4 months ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

My name is Billy.

Remove one wire from the pressure switch and tell me if the exhaust fan starts

where is that located

the pressure switch is a sideways flying saucer that the rubber tube you blew through attaches to.

I did find it and it didn't work and the heater is now back on. However will I have to continue to do this every time it stops?

The pressure switch you have is stuck closed. Given it was stuck open and now stuck closed usually means it got water logged.

Unfortunately this means a new pressure switch....sometimes you can remove the switch...blow out all tubes, use a shop vacuum on all ports and vents...and reassemble. Maybe a 50-50 chance.....

Billy

Is that why I am getting intermittent heat and the blower stays on? Once the flame is gone the blower still blows recycled air. And then randomly heat turns on again. Should I continue to leave the heat on in the house as we are going to a Christmas party today?

I would leave on...the reason you get blower is if there are 3 faults in a cycle the blower runs as a default action.

Then it locks out for a bit then retrys.....you can bypass the lockout by turning power off and back on to furnace.

I would concentrate on shop vacuuming the exhaust pipes as that is commonly an issue.

BillyHvac
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech