HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

There is a small puddle at he bottom my my Rheemglas water…

Customer Question
There is a small...

There is a small puddle at he bottom my my Rheemglas water heater. What could be the cause? Bill Moskowitz

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

Brad

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

The puddle has been around a long time. many months. The water accumulation is small, maybe 2" by 2 ft

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That's it. The amount of leakage does nt change.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/25/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 4 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Can you determine if it is leaking from the drain valve or does it appear to be coming from the bottom of the tank?

I cannot determine the source of the leak on he floor. I don't see any source for the leak. Not familiar with drain valve so i can't say whether it is coming from the drain valve or not.
From what I have told you so far, what are the possibilities, and i will not be fixing it myself.
I am waiting for your reply.

OK the drain valve screws into very bottom.Sometimes these valves will start leaking due to sediment build up in bottom of tank.

If electric, the tank can develope leaks where the upper and lower elements screw into the tank.

Another common problem is the pressure relief valve seeping.

If water heater is located in a non conditioned area such as a utility room the water can actually be condensation which insulation can fix

Other than these things the tank may actually starting to rust through which means replacement. Most of these things are good for about 10 to 12 years.

Your answer tells me that a technician needs to check the elements and the pressure relief valve. So shall i call the one who installed it or another service?

I would definitely have it looked at or examine yourself for those things.The elements can be checked by removing panels on sides if electric.

My question is whoshould i call?

I usually prefer the original installer if possible as if they are still available.They will be the most familiar with your unit and often give you a better price for any repairs as a returning customer.

I am waiting for the final answer. Who should i contact now for service?

Original installer

lease finish with your reply to my question.

Not sure if you are not seeing my answers, but I stated in last two replies that I recommend calling the person who installed for any service needed.

Ok, got it. Thank you

Merry CHristmas

airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician