HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My heater keeps trying to come on, then it blows cool air…

Customer Question
My heater keeps trying...

My heater keeps trying to come on, then it blows cool air for a min or two then shuts down. In about five min it will do the same thing. no heat.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Brand new filter. the thermostat is set for 65 and it shows the temp in the house to be 57

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depends on what needs to be done. I have limited mobility.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have done a rest on the auto pilot and waited over five min to restart. I have done that twice

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/25/2017
HVAC Technician: Andrew Smith, HVAC Technician replied 3 months ago
Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, HVAC Technician
Can you see the burner actually fire?
No
Does it try and light by making the normal start up noises?
Just trying to if it is an appliance or control problem.
It sounds like it is attempting to light. You can hear things starting, then a “woosh”, and then what sounds like thing are working. After a few min of this the blower starts blowing cold air. It runs for a couple of min the staps. After about five min it does it all again.
Ok, sounds like something us wrong with the gas line it gas valve, it should continue to run.
The fan runs on a gbsrmistat once the unit starts to warm up but then shuts down as the heat has stopped.
You will need someone out the check the gas and the gas valve.
Ok, sounds like something is wrong with the gas line or gas valve, it should continue to run.
The fan runs on a thermostat, once the unit starts to warm up the fan runs but then shuts down as if the heat has stopped.
You will need someone out the check the gas and the gas valve
spellcheck...
Ok, thanks I will get someone local to come gie it a look.
Let me know if you get stuck
Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, HVAC Technician