HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I had to turn off the heat upstairs in the bonus room it…

Customer Question
Hello ... I had...

Hello ... I had to turn off the heat upstairs in the bonus room it wouldn't stop running... the yellow purge light is blinking

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

It was on 66 upstairs so I turned it to 65 and it kept running

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I'm not sure

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It's been ongoing with one hour heating and air

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: HVAC
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/24/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 1 month ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, there is a two degreeF dead band on most thermostats, so if youi room is 66F you would generally have to turn the thermostat to 63 or 64F to get to cycle off... however, in actual operation such a thermostat will control the room to within 1 degree of its setting.

Its a little complicated, I hope you understand... lets do some tests

.

As a test only set the thermostat to 60F and tell me if the heat stops or not.

.

We can go from there without any time limits.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I just set it to 60 ... it's running now
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok it stopped
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yellow still blinking
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Zone 1 2 3 green lights on
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Still with me?

Hello, on this end I must come and go, I am notified when you post. There can be delays, I can't stand by.

Ignore the blinking for now, lets just see if the zone goes off when you you set it down to 60F in heating mode.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you

Let me know if the heat goes off or not in that zone when you set the thermostat down to 60F please. we can go from there

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The heat did stop at 60

Thanks, ***** ***** for a fact then that the zone controls work as designed.

Next test is to sit the temperature on that thermostat up slowly until you can feel air come out of the vents.... that will tell us if its calibrated properly.

.

You should also know, that the other zone is the MASTER zone in the house, if it is not calling for heat, the bonus room will not go into heat mode.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I'll move it to 61 ... and I didn't realize that about the master zone

Yes and keep moving it up slowly until heat comes out, as long as the other thermostat is also calling for heat.... that way we will know how much its off... 2 degrees off the setting is normal for these types of systems.

.

Its time to locate the "finish and rate your expert' link next to your send button, that is the way the company pays m for my time, we can go from there without any time limits then as needed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Merry Christmas! I have the downstairs set at 69 and upstairs (bonus) at 66 so we'll see what happens

Good plan, keep me posted, and I wish you the best of best Christmases and new year possible

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer