HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My tankless water heater will not run, breaker not tripped…

My tankless water heater...

My tankless water heater will not run, breaker not tripped and when I push sw1 or sw2 it starts running while pressed in. What is my problem?

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

Well it just started sometime last night the power went off an when it came back on my water heater and oven not working (oven not getting hot) .

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If it's something that I can do

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Well I do a lot of my repairs.

12/24/2017
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, I need the brand and model number of the water heater in order to pull the manual on it.

We can go from there.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Ruud tankless water heater mo.#rtg-74xn-2 serial #rhng1207900404
No not at this time

click here please, this is the best manual I could find, tell me if it looks like your water heater or not, and tell me where exactly switch 1 and switch 2 are located and what they look like.

.

We can go from there

That looks like it. Sw1 and sw2 top left corner of board.

Thanks, ***** ***** circuit board is most likely bad, 70% chance of that, 30% chance its a sensor attached to the board... testing is involved. Let me know if you have test instruments, skills and time to go through all that or not.

Click here please tell me if those are the switches you are talking about or not

.

The odds that you will need a new part are nearly 100% and none will be available today.

.

We can go from there as needed

No test equipment today will have to do it at a later date need to go to my job for my equipment. Thanks for your help and how much will this conversation cost me?

Cost here for you is about $29 as a close guess, I am not privy to the various offers and terms. If you choose to rate my work positively I get paid $14.85 and will appreciate it and hold the question open to you without any time limits if you want to do some trouble shooting.

Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer