HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

No power to tstat, I've flipped breakers off / on at power…

Customer Question
No power to tstat...

No power to tstat, I've flipped breakers off / on at power box, at air handler and pulled and placed back the shut off outside at compressor. Checked fuse inside air handler, still no power on R on thermostat. Carrier a/c system Air handler model FY4ANF048T00

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

digital thermostat, no power no nothing

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes if its minor

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Thats it

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/23/2017
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 2 months ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

Hello, my name is Billy,

What function have you been using recently?..heating or cooling?

cooling, I live in FL

thank you.

There is a safety switch on most units that turn off power to the thermostat if the drain gets plugged. Is your air handler in the attic?

In the garage. pan completely dry. I don't think the float switch has ever been activated. I push it up and it came back freely

Are you willing to remove the cover over the wiring area of the air handler to see if there is a control fuse present?

was thermostat recently changed?

any recent yard work around the outdoor unit?

i have the cover off. pulled out atc fuse and it looks ok. I haven't changed anything on the system. tstat is 24 volt wired to air handler. put volt meter on R pin and C and got 0 volts on tstat

do you have 24 volts at R and C in the air handler?

Or even back up...do you have 220v to the transformer

can you get me a parts breakdown to help me identify. I got 230 in and out of the breaker inside the air handler. Then I got 230 to the rectifier control. It goes to what I believe is the 24 volt transformer. On the bottom I have 230 terminal and common. I got 0 between those terminals. I get 230 if I go from the 230 terminal to the ground wires at the breaker. I have a red and brown wire that comes out at the top. I think this is the power for the thermostat. I got 0 between these terminals.

Ok this shows a bad transformer.

230 input to transformer an d zero out = bad 24v transformer. The transformer is known as a generic part as any 230 to 24v transformer will work. Just google the number on side of the transformer to obtain parts availability

I'm not sure. I got 230 when grounding to the incoming ground wire at the breaker. I got 0 between the 230 and Common terminal on the bottom. Is this the ground going in to the transformer? I might not be testing properly. The only way I get 230 is when I ground to the incoming wire at the breaker?

ok, take a pic and post of the wiring area and I will draw test points for you.

put meter leads as shown HERE and tell me what value

0

ok now can you show me the contact point where the 2 power wires come into unit?

we are missing one leg at the transformer...that is why we need to back track right now

OK, but I do get 230 if I ground that terminal to the incoming nuetral wire in the last photo its the white wire with red tape on it
IMG_6134.JPGIMG_6134.JPGIMG_6138 (1).JPGIMG_613...JPGIMG_6137.JPGIMG_6137.JPGIMG_6135 (1).JPGIMG_613...JPG
Billy, I'm no expert but I believe that is the transformer. I don't think the C is for common. I got 120 volts on the yellow wire terminal grounded to case and 120 volts on the black wire when grounded to case. I got nothing on what I believe is the 24 volt terminals at the top, jumping the red and brown wires.
it looks like both heating elements have the black and yellow wires going to each of them. I can ground them and I get 120volts out of each of them.
the incoming power goes through a breaker. If I jump between the 2 incoming wires I get 240 volts. If I jump between the 2 out going wires I get nothing. I can ground the out going wires and get 120 volts on each. Could I possibly have a bad breaker?

you are correct...it appears to be a bad connection or breaker....the 120v you are reading is the same 120v everyplace...we are missing the other 120v.

That is why we have 230 at incoming breaker and not leaving

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer