HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a trane bwh730a100a1 air handler. I have been running…

Customer Question
I have a trane...

I have a trane bwh730a100a1 air handler. I have been running it in emergency heat for the last 2 years. It stoped working and the repair tech said 2 out of 3 elements were shot and that they could not be repaired due to parts being unavailable and I needed to replace entire system...Are parts available for that old of unit?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Filters are clean thermostats works, he said it was due to two of the three elements being burned out.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No I would hire it out to replace the elements if they are available...The price to replace this airhandler was $7,500 that is what i was trying to avoid. It is old but I was hoping to get a couple more years out of it.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That is it

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/22/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 5 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Many techs will tell you parts are obsolete because they are either not 'readily available" in their inventory or just see the opportunity for an easy sale. Let me see what I can find.

Thanks for your patience.

It appears the air handler was actually made by GE and uses the BAY96X heat kits.

Being a 2.5 ton air handler I suspect you have the 10kw heat kit.

Your unit should have a heat kit number on it somewhere.showing the BAY96X1408. BAY96X1410 or similar.The number following the 14 designates how many kw of heat.

These heat kits ARE indeed still available.Tech just saw an opportunity for a sale.Thank goodness for the internet,it sure helps keep folks honest.I personally would hire a different contractor to replace the strips though as this guy would not get another dime from me for misleading me.

Below are links identifying the heat kit and a link to a supplier showing available immediately.

http://file:///C:/Users/airheatman/Downloads/22-1164-1%20(2).pdf

https://www.hvacpartsupplier.com/part-replacement-c-18/bay96x1410-p-32107

Since you said three elements, it may be the BAY96X1414.

Also shown as available

http://www.americanhvacparts.com/p-9617-ge-144kw-240v-heat-strip.aspx

If you have further questions, please let me know.
Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.
To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.

If you have problems with first link try this one showing the air handler

http://www.mediafire.com/file/bqzct5nzhtkdxuw/GE_BWH.pdf

airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician