HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I am trying to find the limit switch open reset button on my…

Customer Question
I am trying to find...
I am trying to find the limit switch open reset button on my furnace and have no clue where it is at. Please help I have a Trane 4TXC
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/22/2017
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 2 months ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

that number is ***** an ac coil...can you supply the furnace number...or a pic with the top door off?

thank you...now is the circuit board coding an error about limit?

it has 4 flashes meaning limit switch open base off the fault codes
4 red flashes

ok see pic HERE follow instruction, turn power back on and tell me code

Ok give me a second
Okay the burners are starting up again and the light is amber meaning normal operation call for heat. It has done this a few times now then will go back to the 4 red lights

does the main blower ever kick on?

It does it continues to blow air even when the 4 red lights are on as the fault

Thank you, ***** ***** filter plugged, blower fins dirty or a efficiency filter being used?

It just cut back off well the burners the motor blower is still going

is the filter plugged, blower fins dirty or a efficiency filter being used?

I’m not sure what the blower fins are. I changed the filter today to see if that would help

if you can turn off and remove bottom door I can direct on speeding up the blower with a pic of the circuit board

Okay

ok it appears someone did not have a correct capacitor at one time and wired in a generic "fitsall"

So there has been a blower issue before. At the bottom of the board...you will see a row of terminals that wires from the blower motor attach to. Can you find the terminal labeled HEAT and tell me what color wire is on it

does the black wire on COOL go to the motor? Usually the motor leads are insulated..

ok someone messed up...

Coming from the motor...what color wires are there?

that is the exhaust motor...follow that blue wire on the board on the HEAT terminal..it will lead to circulation blower.

you maya or may not want to do this....but we need to cut the zip tie going to the capacitor (can) and the wires to expose what actually goes where. There should only be 2 wires actually attached to the capacitor and the other wires go direct from motor to circuit board...there may be cuts and wire nuts....but i can promise you this is not hooked up right.

and I am betting it wire nuts to a wire that goes to motor?

what does that mean. Both the cool and heat wire nut by the oil filter
Do you know where the rest button is at?

someone put a new motor in and instead of just attaching wires direct to board....cur the existing wires and wired on to those....BUT...the capacitor you see you should have only 2 wires physically attached to it...a brown and a brown with white stripe. what do the 2 browns cureently attach to from motor

The 2 Brown wires are plugged into the board to the xfmr terminal

ok,

kind of a noncolor code mess here....are you going to do the work of what I recommend?

I will try my best to yes
Well where would the switch be to reset i can try that as the fault code says as well as fix the color mess

There is no reset for this case...the blower is not moving enough air...possibly because it is wired wrong....whenhot it open a thermal switch...when cooled that switch closes and lets you heat again.

Your issue is enough air flow...or it will keep overheating.

Just from the large motor in bottom.....whta color wires are coming out the rear of the motor and go to board and capacitor.

There are 2 orange motors coming from the exhaust motor that lead to thisnon the circuit board
M

ok that is the wrong motor...

The motor we want is inside the silver housing behind the circuit board. On the right side of the silver housing behind the capacitor ....follow the wires. Remember the blue wire on Heat?...follow that blue wire to the other end...the motor we want is in the bottom section behind the circuit board in the blower housing

Okay I get it but I can’t go beyond the circuit board. I would need a professional for that part.
When I reach back nothing is behind the circuit board
that is
If i can get there what’s the next step

That is the one! the 2 browns from THAT motor should be all that is wired to that capacitor.

My main concern is the wiring is not giving us the speed we need.

I know the capacitor is wired wrong...maybe you should invest in a service call to get straightened out.

The thing needs to done is:

remove all wires from board and capacitor that have to go to that motor.

the 2 browns go to a proper capacitor..the size is listed on the motor.

Then the black direct to cool blue to heat, orange to m1

The miswiring of the capacitor is slowing the unit down

Okay I will call for a service thanks so much I defiantly don’t want to be doing all that and mess something up

I dont mean to be rude....just looks like someone did not understand the new motor wiring.

I really wish you the best.

Billy

BillyHvac
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech