HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Billy I hope all is well. We chatted back in late November…

Customer Question
Billy I hope all is...
Billy I hope all is well. We chatted back in late November about our Carrier furnace. Based upon the code that was flashing (24) you ssaid I needed to replace the fuse. I did that. I used existing fuses I had and then I purchased new fuses. Both fuses blew within 3 days of our discussion. I travel a lot so I didn't get a chance to contact you again PLUS our weather has been very mild and we haven't needed the furnace.But now temps are dropping and hopefully you can help.I am still getting the blinking 24 code. I do have extra fuses.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/21/2017
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 8 months ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

Sorry for the ongoing issues...

At the circuit board...check all wires and make sure none are touching each other,,,make sure where wire goes through side of furnace there is no scrapes.

Pretty much follow the wire that connects the thermostat to the furnace looking for any damage...does this have ac also?

No this is a furnace only.
going to check wires now.

Great...can you trace the thermostat wire from the thermostat all the way to where it connects in furnace looking for any damage at all?

Ok I will look.
I have jiggled every wire and removed the blown fuse. I can put in a new fuse. No wires are touching. None of the wires are bare. They are all covered.
If I put in the fuse, it will appear fixed but will blow a day or so later.

Correct...that is why we want to see if the wire is pinched, scraped etc...

I eliminate this sometimes by running new thermostat wire....if it still blows I know it is on furnace

I got it. What should I do now?

Depends on how easy it would be to run new wire or check the existing....if it is a fairly short run....I would just replace the wire since it is pretty cheap...and plus there are only 2 connections at each end.

Ok. Can I make two wires using alligator clips?
Could it be the thermostat that's on the wall?

If you want to by pass the thermostat wire....you would connect R on the circuit board to W.

This would bypass wire and thermostat...only problem is it will not shut off until the wire connecting r and w is removed.

the thermostat normally will not short....it is generally the wire touching metal

Hmmm let's go back a little bit. :-)
The wiring that you want me to do, what are we testing?

We are wanting to eliminate any old/bad wiring . We cannot make progress if we have a bad thermostat wire

Sorry for the delay. I don't think it's a bad thermostat wire. I replaced the thermostat last year. :-)

Then if you are confident it is NOT the wire, then you have a bad component in the furnace itself. Like a circuit board or gas valve.

Unfortunately this would need a tech onsite with a voltmeter to take readings.

Ok Just a minute.

that is the limit switch..it can short the system if not centered in the square just right.

All of the repairs that I've done to the furnace we with Just Answer. They have been good repairs. I am very handy. I have also replaced the wheelie thing. See the picture. In our other furnace, I replaced both of these circular things using Just Answer. No problems. So I don't think the limit switch suddenly went awry.
typo - were with Just Answer.
I just replaced the fuse again and will see what happens.
I have to run an errand but will check back in later. Thanks

this would leave the gas valve....IF...IF the thermostat wire is good/new and there are no obvious spots of damage