HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

The heating tech has my thermostat all out of sink. It was…

Customer Question
The heating tech has...

The heating tech has my thermostat all out of sink. It was freezing in the house. He had it set at 64o I set it at 73o on heat for Thur. How do I check to see if the unit is working okay>

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

I checked the settings. He had it on DST. We live in DE He was upset that I called . I have a contract with First Class Heating. But he was clearly angry & charged me $74. extra. They were paid 200.00 at contract signing for two visits a year. I also turned the humidifier of .because he had that set to 35%.. Email me at:***@******.***

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No. This contract is up in March but I'm looking for a new heat, AC, and plumbing company

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I bought the thermostat in July of 2000. I always keep the setting at 68..I realize it should be a bit higher now. But! I would like to set it at 72 and turn my humidifier on to 15%.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/21/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 6 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, if the heater is working, warm air will be coming from the vents, that air will be noticeably warmer than the room air by 20 to 40F warmer....if the air is not warm the the furnace is not working.

.

If the air is blowing, but not warm, then the burners are not coming on

.

To test the FURNACE, set the thermostat to 90F, if if blows hot air we know the furnace is working.

.

Next, to test the thermostat set it at room temperature. then increase the setting by 1 degree until the heat comes on.

.

We can go from there without any time limits.

.

Hello, using my duct size program the diameter of the main return needs to be 18" in diameter if the return is over 20 feet long with more than 2 elbows, and 16" in diameter if the main return is right next to the furnace... the larger your return duct the more efficient the system will be.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.