HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Model guj100d12-1b won't always ignite. induction motor has…

Customer Question
Model guj100d12-1b won't always...

Model guj100d12-1b won't always ignite. induction motor has a long runtime.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

60 to 72 hours

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I can do the work

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Induction fan comes on, igniter kicks in, then burner, then blower. about one in six - eight times the furnace comes on, we'll get - induction motor, igniter, igniter goess out, a minute or two later, igniter kicks in, then burner, blower, back to normal.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

Replaced when this first started

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/21/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 7 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

If the igniter kicks in but he burners don't ignite you need to test the voltage at the gas control valve when this happens. You should see 24 volts AC at the valve. Do you?

Ok. So, unfortunately (or fortunately) my furnace has failed to fail, since I received your reply. If it fails to ignite again, hopefully I can get to it (in time) to check voltage.

I understand, that's the problem with intermittent issues. This one may be particularly daunting to catch in the act unless it starts to fail more often. Bot***** *****ne here is that if you have 24 volts AC at the gas valve while the igniter is initialized and no main burner ignition then the gas valve is suspect. If you don't have 24 vac then you either have a bad connection between the board and the valve or a bad board.

I appreciate your time, Rick. I have my meter setting close to the furnace, to try and catch it in the act. On one hand I'm glad it hasn't misbehaved, but on the other hand, I'd rather it fail while the temps are mid-thirties and I'm awake, rather than wake up on a sub-freezing morning to it completely inoperative.
From your experience, would you care to take a guess at whether it's a board/power issue, or a pilot burner assy issue? The internals look really good for it's age. I'm not seeing anything that would indicate any problems, no excess carbon, soot or ash buildup. All wire ends, connectors and insulation looks good, nothing is discolored or brittle. Everything looks original, nothing looks newer than anything else.
It does get vacuumed out before the beginning of the season, but it was installed and used before we acquired the property (about seven yrs ago). We did have an issue with it not igniting once, last year, but we replaced the batteries in the thermostat and it worked flawlessly afterwards. When I began having problems this time, I replaced the thermostat and it worked fine (for about 24hrs) until this morning.

Since you checked the connections it's likely either the valve or the board. There is no predicting which it is based on past experience. Generally valves fail more often but I sure would drop a couple hundred on a valve based on a probability

Do you have more questions?