HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

This answer was rated: ★★★★★ I have a 1960s era forced air…

Customer Question
This answer was rated...

This answer was rated: ★★★★★
I have a 1960s era forced air furnace (Pioneer Mfg, Los Angeles, and the blower came to a screaching halt can it be repaired

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

All that is fine, it had been making metal rubbing noises prior, maybe a bearing it pulls air from the crawl space under the house

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I hope so, I changed out the controller last year, with minimal issues

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't know

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/20/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 6 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your

issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

Is the blower belt driven or direct drive?

I believe it is belt driven, I don not know how to access that area from the furnace closet, do I need to crawl under the house?

If it's belt driven you're out of luck. I don't have any idea where your unit is or how do get to it.

ok , I guess I'll need to call a repair man, if you cannot help

If its belt driven a repairman won't be able to help either.

I was able to get to fan, it is direct driven with a ge motor, it flows freely for a few minutes and then locks up. it becomes harder to spin

If it's direct drive then replacing the motor or re-positioning the blower wheel on the motor shaft are a couple likely fixes.

how do I do that

Note where the blower wheel binds up then remove the motor and wheel and reposition the wheel on the motor shaft slightly away from where it binds up

it doesn't seem to bind up, could it ne that the motor is bad, when it runs it runs smoothly and comes to a stop and starts humming, while it is hummeng it is ahrd to move. when the humming stops the wheel moves freely by hand

Then you need a new motor.

any tricks or special tools required?

No special tools or tricks. Just be sure the wheel spins freely when you put it back together. Finding a replacement will be the hardest part unless you have a Graingers nearby. Take the motor to Graingers or a HVAC supply house and they will match it up with a generic replacement based on size and horsepower.

Good luck!

Do you have more questions?