HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Had a 5 hour power failure last night. When power returned…

Customer Question
Had a 5 hour...

Had a 5 hour power failure last night. When power returned the blower started but no heat

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Filters were dirty; but, I removed the entire assembly cover included. If I turn the beaker off then back on the blower kicks in for about 5 min then it stops

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Not sure what it is. I have no experience with these types of furnace.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The light on the enclosure above the heating unit blinks 4 times

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/20/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 9 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your

issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

What is the bran and model of your furnace?

The brand is Coleman. Not sure where I can get the model as there are about 15 labels on the unit. It is installed in a mobile home
I have to take care of some issues I am having at the office. Can we pick this up later?

Ok. Get back when you can. A 4 flash error is an ignition failure. Try turning the power off, wait a minute then turn it back on. That may be all it takes to get it going

I followed the tip and changed the Igniter. That did not fix it. Since the fan was starting as soon as I turned the breaker on I figured there may be a short in the board and I had the board taken out and tested. It is a short in the board. I replaced the board and now everything is back and working. I understand that it is kind of hard to this by proxy; however your advice did not help any so please cancel the charge and credit the $28 to my PayPal account. Thank you
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 8 months ago

Ok, since my original contact was preliminary at best I don't see how you can fault me for not helping since you never followed up. At no point did I advise replacing the igniter. A faulty igniter is only one possibility. I'll let customer service know you want a refund.

I am not saying it was your fault or that you told me to replace the igniter. I just did not like the add for extra $24 to talk on the phone and I find it very difficult to go back and forth with e-mails/messages. I found that is a lot cheaper and faster to do my own research and this time I came up with the correct answer. I am not an expert and this could have gone the other way as well; but, it did not.