HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a E2EB-012Ha electric furnace. Once it turns off, it…

Customer Question
I have a E2EB-012Ha...

I have a E2EB-012Ha electric furnace. Once it turns off, it doesn't stop heating unless i kill the breaker.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

I replaced the thermostat with a new electronic one, does the same thing. This is not a filter issue

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes I am

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Once I turn the breakers back on, if the thermostat isn't calling for heat, it doesn't turn on. it comes on normally when the thermostat asks it to, it just doesn't shut off.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/20/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 6 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Sounds like a sequencer is sticking.We would need a meter to troubleshoot. If you have a meter let me know .If not you can get an inexpensive one at Walmart for about 15 bucks if you would like to troubleshoot and I would be happy to guide you.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Innova-3300-Equus-3300-Hands-free-Digital-Multimeter/14644665

i have one. it's a southwire 21030T. Not the best at using it, but i have it. lol

Great,next do you know what the squencer is and if the furnace uses them or contactors to energize heat strips?

Below are both.

Sequencer:https://i.imgur.com/kANrN4r.png

Contactor:https://i.imgur.com/3Ejsatf.png

Nordyne used both

pretty sure it has the sequencers

OK now we will be working "HOT" so be careful where you put your hands. First we want to determine which element is on so we know where to test voltage.

When it should be off, Set meter to AC as shown below and clamp around one heater element wire until we determine which is on.

You will have to remove the panel in bottom of unit to access the wiring and sequencers.

well there's 5 wires on the smaller one and 8 wires on the larger one.

Can you use the 'add file button and attach a picture?

i'm just going to replace the part. this is way to time consuming with the typing back and fourth. if replacing the part doesn't work, i'll maybe try you again, but it'll be tomorrow before i'd get what was wrong doing it ths way. phone call would be better along with some diagrams/pics.

I understand.I like to make sure, but the most likely issue is going tobe that sequencer.If it does not solve we can go from here.If you have further questions, please let me know.
Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.
To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.