HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a new Home with a Lennox 51M34 ComfortSense 3000

Customer Question
I have a new...

I have a new Home with a Lennox 51M34 ComfortSense 3000 Series Model L3511C thermostat - works fine but the internal light on the Thermostat has never worked? Is there a way to check it or repair just the light? Skot

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

Just something specific to the thermostat? Every thing else seems to work fine

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Nothing I can think of?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/19/2017
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 7 months ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

My name is Billy. Can you tell me if the thermostat wiring has a C terminal with a wire in it?

it is a black wire

And when you press any button for function, the back light does NOT engage?

Correct no light engaged at any time

Unfortunately there is no menu option to able/disable and the light is a function that engages whenever any button is pressed. If yours is not lighting then there is an internal defect. This cannot be field repaired.

I hate delivering what I call nonsense answers.....but the thermostat would have to be replaced to get this feature working.

I am very sorry but there is no work around for this on this model.

Billy

Thanks that is what I figured...there is no in the L terminal?

The L terminal would be for a alarm or light. Some units like heat pumps illuminate a red light while in emergency heat.

The L terminal is for a light but external the thermostat

Cool I will see if I can get the Builder to replace the whole Thermostat since the home is not very old

Thank you for your patience and I wish you the best. If any other questions please let me know.

Billy