HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a trane xe 90 that won't light. The ignitor comes on.

Customer Question
I have a trane...

I have a trane xe 90 that won't light. The ignitor comes on. the inducer fan comes on the gas valve clicks then it shuts off. it cycles three times then just the blower runs

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

1 day

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/19/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 2 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You need to test for 24 volts AC at the gas valve while the igniter is on.

ok. Which wires should I test across?

The 2 leads on the gas valve

Let me see if I can find my meter

Ok

Checking now

ok

Ac or dc ?

AC

I got 26 as soon as it clicked

Then if you have 26 Vac at the gas valve, the igniter is initialized and no main burner ignition then you have a faulty gas control valve, assuming of course you have gas to the valve.

How can I test to make sure I have gas. There was a leak yesterday that the propane company fixed, but all other furnaces are working

If you have gas everywhere else and the shut off is open then you have gas but you may also have air in the line. The safest way to vent the air is to cycle the furnace off then back on as many time as it takes to vent the air out. Or you can shut off the gas at the unit, break the piping connection, then turn the shut off back on until you smell gas (no open flames in the area of course) then shut it back off immediately. Then put the piping back together and try again. Be sure to test your re-connection for leaks

of course if the gas valve is bad this won't work

How many times cycling it on and off does it normally take. Yesterday the igniter was not working and the diagnostics light read that there was an igniter problem. I replaced it and it fired the first time last night and worked then this moning I had the new problem. Are these related problems

No way to predict. It takes as long as it takes. If it fired after the gas was hut of then air in the line is unlikely particularly if you've cycled it a few times already

How difficult is replacing the gas valve

Pretty easy of you're OK with taking the gas piping apart. If not leave this to a pro.

Rick
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor