HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

How much does this cost? I have a furnace flashing 34 error…

Customer Question
How much does this...

How much does this cost?

Contractor's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the HVAC Technician's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

I have a bryant furnace flashing 34 error code-ignition failure, I am an hvac tech myself, not sure what is going on

Contractor's Assistant: Are you an HVAC professional?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Furnace model and serial number is *****#395CAV036090ACJA S#3592a11681

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/19/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 2 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

34 is an ignition failure. Do the burners ever light and if so how long do they stay on?

They do light, the burner would usually cut out about the same time the blower came on, a couple of times they stayed on while the blower was running but would quit and flash code later in the cycle

Have you tried cleaning the flame sensor with a dollar bill?

I cleaned it with steel wool and checked micro amps

How many micro amps do we have?

2

Below are the 34 error code causes:

IGNITION PROVING FAILURE - Control will try three more times before
lockout #14 occurs. If flame signal lost after trial for ignition period, blower
will come on for 90 second recycle delay. Check for:
- Oxide buildup on flame sensor (clean with fine steel wool).
- Proper flame sense microamps (.5 microamps D.C. min., 4.0 - 6.0 nominal).
- Gas valve defective or gas valve turned off.
- Defective Hot Surface Ignitor - Manual valve shut-off.
- Low inlet gas pressure. - Control ground continuity
- Green wire MUST be connected to furnace sheet metal.
- Inadequate flame carryover or rough ignition.
- Flame sensor must be ungrounded.

Next thing I would check is make sure the furnace has a good ground (not plugged into an outlet. The check gas inlet and outlet pressure.

Furnace was grounded and outlet pressure was 3.5"wc, I've checked everything that you would check for this code and replaced the control board, honestly hoping for some magical thing I've never heard of thought about re-wiring it completely or didn't know if maybe Bryant had issues with older furnaces as this is not the first that acts as if it has a mind of its own

I understand this must be frustrating.But if limits are not opening and we maintain the signal to the board that flame is present, the board should maintain the 24v o the valve. Remember new board does not always mean good board though.Could be another bad board .

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer