HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a Janitrol unit heater WH-250. It has been converted…

I have a Janitrol...
I have a Janitrol unit heater WH-250. It has been converted to propane. What I need to do is change it back. The conversion was done prior to me buying the garage.
I’ll add photos
I need to change it back to natural gas.
12/19/2017
MattR757
MattR757, HVAC Technician

The conversion from natural gas to propane involves several parts - the burner orifices and the gas valve regulator spring get replaced. To convert back you would need the natural gas orifices, and the natural gas regulator spring. These should be very inexpensive parts but you likely need to contact a Goodman/Janitrol distributor to order them. I've checked some aftermarket parts sources - There are a number of sources that sell the LPT-03 kit to convert from natural gas to LP but so far I haven't located a conversion kit to go from LP to natural gas. You need to order the OEM orifices and regulator spring for the original natural gas burner and I haven't found a parts list for that particular model heater.

Would you know the number size for the orifice it takes for that size heater

I have access to most of the residential equipment catalog, but my literature does not include the self-contained unit heaters . Almost all of the Goodman janitrol 80% efficiency equipment used a #45 for natural gas and a #50 for LP to attain an output of approx 25,000 but per burner. However, there is some variation depending on how many BTUs per burner that heater was designed for. A distributor should have access to the original OEM parts list to tell you with a hundred percent certainty what the original orifices we're.

If I could find a distributor. That’s the problem.

I have put in an information request with two of my local distributors to see if I can locate and identify the orifices and regulator spring to get you back to Natural Gas. As soon as I hear back from them I will let you know what I have found

Unfortunately all of my parts sources are telling me this unit is obsolete and no longer supported by janitrol. I'm pretty sure that the janitrol unit heater line was sold to Modine several years ago. Tech support says you can use #45 burner orifices. Originals could have been #47 but he said we'd rather use 45 and under-fire it by a couple thousand BTUs then over fire it and risk overheating the heat exchanger. You should be able to get a replacement regulator spring from any supplier that sells that brand of gas valve (original should have been a Honeywell). They actually advised me to replace the whole gas valve if possible.
He also said to very carefully inspect the heat exchanger for any cracks or areas that are rusted thin. Apparently propane gas has a higher water content than dry natural gas and usually causes the Heat exchangers to rust at temperature stress points.
There isn’t hardly any use on the heater at all no rust anywhere, and I have found the exact same gas valve for sale new but they are on the Lennox brand now
Do you think a person could take the right number drill bit and drill press and drill the orifices out or try to find new ones
The propane orifices are actually bigger than the natural gas orifices so you couldn't take the propane orifices and drill them out. Your best bet would be to take one of the propane orifices to one of the bigger suppliers that sells to the public like Grainger, Noland or Sears Parts Center so they can make sure the thread size matches up. I'm pretty sure they're all universal fine threads but I don't think I've ever tried to replace them when they didn't come directly from the manufacturer. You could also check with some local contractors. Most will typically replace one or two furnaces a week and a natural gas furnace should have the same size burner orifices as the original unit heater. You might find one that's willing to take the orifices out of an old furnace instead of trying to find new ones.
MattR757
MattR757, HVAC Technician
Thank you a lot
Propane orifices are actually smaller than natural gas
You're right. My mistake. A number #45 orifice is an equivalent decimal of 0.0820 so if you had a precise drill bit and drill press you could gently drill out the propane orifices to the larger size. Before I looked at my orifice chart I honestly thought they went the other way...
in your past comment if I went a couple sizes smaller diameter it would under fire the heater to be safe smaller than 45 that is

Correct. According to my burner orifice chart a #50 at 7.0 in (lp) pressure is 17594 btu - a #45 at 3.5 in (nat) pressure is 17072 btu which would be the closest equivalent output.

A #46 - one size smaller - is 16658 btu and a #44 - one size larger - is 18778 btu. A #46 would underfire the heater by about 6000 BTUs - a #44 would over fire it by almost 25,000 BTUs - looking back at my email from Goodman tech support he did say that are natural gas orifice options were #43, #45 and #47 - and he recommended 45 to avoid over firing but he didn't really clarify in his email that it was the 43 that would actually be too big.

It's been awhile since I've done any of these calculations and I guess I just defaulted to - bigger number = bigger hole - but it's actually the opposite. Now that I'm actually in the orifice charts I hope that everything is more clear

MattR757
MattR757
MattR757, HVAC Technician