HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a new Honeywell R8184G 4033 and it doesn’t work. I…

Customer Question
I have a new...

I have a new Honeywell R8184G 4033 and it doesn’t work. I put my old one back on and it works fine

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just today.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes I always do. The old one is the same as my new one. But for some reason when I have the new one hooked up it runs for 30 sec or so the red light comes on. Don’t understand why

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/18/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 5 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

If you have both wired exactly the same then the only possibility is the new control is defective

I took it back twice now. The part alone is 150 bucks.didnt think it would be possible to have two faulty parts. Everything is wired the same.
I don’t want to talk on the phone. This already cost me 40 dollars to talk with you.and I’m getting no where’s

Something is different or the new control would work like the old one. There is a chance, assuming no ignition with new control, that the ignition transformer is weak and for some fluke it puts out enough voltage when you have the old one hooked up. Have you checked the transformer

Call prompt is automatic I have no control over it. We can continue here

I have two furnaces. One in my house one in garage. Both forced air. Oil furnace. Now, old 8184 works in both furnaces. Put new 8184 in either furnace and it runs then shuts off with red light on

Since I can't be there all I have to go on is what you tell me. So far all you've told me is that apparently the burner will start but won't fire with the new control. I've given you the possibilities based on the limited info you provided.

It fires but shuts off after 40 seconds and puts red light on

If it shuts down when it's firing you have a cad cell problem. I'd replace the cad cell and the cad cell socket.

Why do I have to replace those parts. It works fine with the old 8184. But when I put the new 8184 on that’s when it acts up

I'm assuming you have the cad cell leads connected to the FF terminals on the control. Your description indicates the cad cell isn't seeing the flame so the fix is to replace it

it’s all connected right. I’m just gonna have to call a a service guy. This is getting me no where’s.

Ok, only so much I can do from here.

This site was no help at all. Every thing I was doing and knew to do. You just told me to do again. Not a good way to waste 40 dollars

do you want a refund?

please

ok will let customer service know. please do not respond to this thread

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer