HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My Carrier 58PAV090-16 HVAC didn't work, and I smelled

Customer Question
My Carrier 58PAV090-16 HVAC...

My Carrier 58PAV090-16 HVAC didn't work, and I smelled something like electrical burning.

Contractor's Assistant: Are you an HVAC professional?

Forget to say Hi Pearl. No, a handyman.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Try it first, if not, call for a HVAC technician. I know how to change breakers and recepticles and identify wire problems.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

In fact, I heard the finance sounds a bit louder yesterday, but didn't mind that much. This morning, I felt some electrical burning odor, and the HVAC didn't work anymore. I can only hear something like try to start but failed to start. No flame from the burner.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/18/2017
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 7 months ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

OK does the main blowetr come on when you set the thermostat to FAN ON?

What is the main blower? The inside one or the outdoor one?

The inside one.

The inside one did not turn on because I did not hear the sound.
Neither the blower nor the igniter works. Only a sound that seems can't start.

OK that is likely the motor trying to start, but can not do to a bad winding or bad capacitor. I would not run it any further as you could really burn something up. It would be hard to say exactly what the cause is as a number of things could cause that issue. Are you trying to fix it yourself?

Let me try to take a look at the breaker, as I found that the wires to the HVAC were abnormal - no electricity. Please allow me to check the service panel.

Yes that is fine a low voltage condition can cause that issue as well.

After some careful examination this morning, I found that the three breakers have no problem - a 20 or 15A to the furnace and two 40, totally 80A, breaks both work well. I detached the cover of the furnace, and cleaned the dusk and tighten lots of plugs, then I found that the furnace can work for a while - gas burns and the main blower works - but stopped working a few minutes later if I set the HVAC controller to Emergency. If I set the controller to normal Heat, neither the internal furnace and external unit works. Now I am wondering whether the external unit failed after 12 years good working. It is an American Standard unit.

Yes it may have failed based on what you are saying, they last about 10-15 years tops most times. Since you had an electrical burning smell I would get it checked out on site of course as this would be hard for me to say 100% what the exact issue is, but it sure sounds like a failure on the outside unit, wiring or blower issue or capacitor issue.

All I ask is please use the....FINISH BY RATING link at the top your page to select a 5 STAR RATING before leaving today....this is important for my status on the site plus without a rating I will receive ZERO credit(NO PAY) from the site for assisting you. Also rating now does not close the question out and you can come back anytime for FREE right here to me......Happy Holidays!