HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My boiler has been producing sounds that make it appear it…

Customer Question
My boiler has been...

My boiler has been producing sounds that make it appear it has swallowed the drum line from the U of M Marching Band. Three different heating outfits have looked the boiler over and cannot determine what the problem is, It comes and goes and is loud enough to hear throughout the house.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

They've checked everything. I have a hot water system, natural gas fired.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Not at 82. We girls aren't into that.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Thermocouplers have been changed, they've done about everything they can think to do. I gave them the various service instructional materials to check. The firm that installed it is Precision and they've checked it over.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/18/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 7 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

What is your question?

I still don't hear a question. You're just describing the problem. What can I do to help?

What do you think is going on with the boiler and what can be done to stop it?
Three difference local heating people have looked at it and changed thermocouples and adjusted things but it still make this awful noise. It's a Weil McLain.
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 6 months ago

Is it a kind of percolating noise?

No - it is a thumping that sounds like the drum line from a marching band has taken refuge.

It's extremely difficult to diagnose a noise based solely on a description no mater how colorful. If this is a hot water system there probably is air in the system and the hot water is flashing to steam when it hits an air pocket causing the banging noise. Let me know if you have a steam system as the culprit is a bit different

It's not in the lines, it's in the boiler.You know. Never mind. This appears to be a scheme to get more and more money from people. Even in littlle amounts at a time. Forget it. Cancel my request.

ok